ORIGINAL WHCT TRANSMITTER SITE - AVON, CT
Topographical map with markers showing the location of various transmitter sites off of Deercliff Road
A - Original WHCT transmitter site used from 1954 through the ownership by Faith Center
B - The owners after Faith Center relocated the WHCT (now WUVN) tower site approximately one mile to the north
C - Location of WTIC-AM and WFSB (formerly WTIC-TV) are show for perspective
Marker “A” identifies original WHCT tower site east of Deercliff Road. It was replaced with residential development
Original tower and transmitter building constructed in the early 50’s. This site was originally developed to support transmission facilities for WONS-FM. The editor notes what looks more to be an FM antenna at the top of the tower. The move of WONS to this site never occurred. The FM antenna was removed and replaced with one for TV when WHCT began operations, originally as WGTH in 1954.
A closer look at the top half of the WHCT tower. This photo was taken circa 1971. In closely examining the TV antenna on top it can be seen it is a different than the one in the photo on the left which is most likely an FM antenna. Also note the round microwave “dish” style antenna on the side of the tower pointing east. This received the programming originating from the WHCT studios in Hartford for subsequent transmission.
WHCT transmitter building and tower circa 1971 during the due diligence visit by Faith Center prior to acquisition from RKO. Comparing this photo with the original above note the garage door on the right was eventually replaced with glass entrance doors.
A view of the base of the WHCT self-supporting tower
View of the control room area inside the transmitter building. Pastor Ray Schoch is seen walking towards the door. A transmitter engineer was stationed behind the console during all times the station was on the air.
A reverse angle of the same control room from where Pastor Schoch was located in the photo on the left. Up until the 80’s TV transmitter sites were staffed by engineers that held a FCC First Class Radiotelephone license.
Front view of the General Electric klystron transmitter
On the right is a rear view of the transmitter with a backup klystron mounted in a magnet assembly (center) ready to be pressed into service if necessary.
The “diplexer” combines the high power visual and aural RF signals into one coaxial transmission line that runs up the tower and feeds the antenna. The bottles along the rear wall are most likely nitrogen gas that is injected into the transmission line to keep moisture from creeping into the line and causing an arc and an ultimate burn-out.
Arnold Kaufman, RKO Vice President Corporate Development, playing to the camera. The person to Arnold’s right (left in the photo) is Howard Frost, WHCT Chief Engineer.
Color photos courtesy of Bernie Marston
Photo of Arnold Kaufman courtesy of the family of Pastor Ray Schoch
All Rights Reserved